UCEED Entrance Exam
Admissions to the Bachelor of Design (B. Des) programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati and IIITDM Jabalpur are done through the Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED). Students who have passed Class XII (or equivalent) in 2016 or appearing in 2017 in ANY STREAM (Science, Commerce, or Arts and Humanities), are eligible to appear for UCEED 2017. UCEED qualified candidates will have to apply separately for B. Des admissions as per the prescribed procedure
A candidate, including a foreign national, must fulfill each and every one of the following three criteria to appear in UCEED 2017.
Criterion 1 – Age limit: The candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1997 if belonging to the OPEN or OBC-NCL category and on or after October 1, 1992 if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category.
Criterion 2 – Number of attempts: A candidate can attempt UCEED for a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. Note that UCEED score is valid for one year, and only for admissions in the corresponding academic year.
Criterion 3 – Qualifying examination: The candidate should have passed the qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2016, OR appearing in 2017. Students from ALL STREAMS (Science, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible.
Those who appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2015 or earlier are NOT eligible.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www. aiuweb.org).
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy. • Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School, Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- A Diploma recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education (www.aicte-india.org) or a State Board of Technical Education of at least 3 years duration.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
- In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
- Visualization and spatial ability
- Observation and design sensitivity
- Environmental and social awareness
- Analytical and logical reasoning
- Language and creativity
- Design thinking and problem solving
- B. Des
Only UCEED 2017 qualified students can apply for admission to the B. Des programme at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, and IIITDM Jabalpur for the academic year 2017-2018. The 3 institutes will have a common application form for admissions to their respective B. Des programmes. The UCEED Office, IIT Bombay will process the common application form and carry out the joint seat allocation process.
The common application form available through the IIT Bombay Admissions Portal. Applicants will be able to fill in their personal particulars and select institutes of their choice by indicating the order of preference. The application can be submitted after paying the application processing fee, uploading digital copies of relevant supporting documents, and uploading the signed copy of the completed application form (first page only). Detailed instructions on each step of the application process are provided within the online application form.
To apply for admission, an applicant is required to fulfill the following 3 criteria.
Criterion 1: Age limit The candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1997 if belonging to the OPEN or OBC-NCL category and, on or after October 1, 1992 if belonging to the SC, ST or PwD category.
Criterion 2: UCEED qualification The candidate should have qualified, i.e., obtained a rank in UCEED 2017.
Criterion 3: Qualifying examination The candidate should have passed the qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2016 or 2017.
Those who appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2015 or earlier are NOT eligible. Candidates from the Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as subjects are eligible to apply to all the three institutes. Candidates from any other stream (Science without Maths or Physics or Chemistry, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible to apply to only IIT Bombay and IIITDM Jabalpur.
The candidates appearing for their qualifying examination (Class XII or equivalent) in 2017 should ensure that, (a) all parts of their final examination are completed by the date of registration in respective admitting institute, and (b) proof of having passed the qualifying examination with required eligibility is submitted by September 30, 2017 to the admitting institute.